Saturday, May 28, 2016

Morro Rock

On our last trip to the Morro Bay area we had a great view of the Morro Rock and found out a couple of facts about it! I have researched it further and thought I would share what I found out with you! :)

Morro Rock is a 581-foot tall volcanic plug just off-shore in Morro Bay. (A volcanic plug is the result of an active volcano's lava hardening over the vent of the volcano:)

It was quarried on and off from 1889 to 1963; in 1966 a petition was circulated to stop the quarrying.

Here is a photo from 1894, right when the quarrying started:

 
Here is a photo after the quarrying stopped:

 
Morro Bay has always been a favorite place for our family since my Great-Grandmother owned a home there with a view of the rock, and my Mother went there many times as a child. :)
 
Until next time! ;)
 
Love,
 
Ava Katherine<3
 
 
 

4 comments: