Saturday, July 16, 2016

A Piece of History: Wedding Handkerchief

For my third post on heirlooms, I will tell you about a special handkerchief.
 
This handkerchief belonged to my maternal great-great-grandmother, Bertha Kitch, who was my grandfather Nolan B. Blair's grandmother. It was made by one of her daughters, although we do not know which one. :)
 
On her wedding day, my maternal grandmother, Carol Lee Blair (nee Clark) carried the handkerchief along with a small white Bible and her bouquet as she walked down the aisle.
 

My grandparents Nolan and Carol Lee Blair on their wedding day, July 23, 1954.

 
 
Thirty-five years later, my mother was planning to also carry the handkerchief on her wedding day, when her florist recommended that she turn the handkerchief into a rose.
 
 
And so it was; my mother held her wedding bouquet with the handkerchief rose embedded amongst the other flowers.
 

My parents on their wedding day, June 24, 1989

The top of the handkerchief rose.
 
 
And so, to continue the tradition, I hope this handkerchief rose will make it down the aisle once more, as I, God willing, carry it on my wedding day.
 
 
 
Love,
 
Ava Katherine<3
 

No comments:

Post a Comment