Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Is Waste a Sin?

A few months ago an elder of our church propounded the question "Is waste a sin?" in a sermon he gave. Since then I studied God's Word and a few other sources to find the answer.
First I found some Scripture passages--some are more obvious and some are subtle, but I think that they all indeed imply that waste is unbefitting to a child of God.
John 6:12~ And when they had eaten their fill, he told His disciples, ‘Gather up the leftover fragments, that nothing may be lost.' ”
Ephesians 5:15-17~ “Look carefully how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is.”
Luke 12:42-44~ “And the Lord said, ‘Who then is the faithful and sensible steward, whom his master will put in charge of his servants, to give them their rations at the proper time? Blessed is that slave whom his master finds so doing when he comes. Truly I say to you that he will put him in charge of all his possessions.”
Matthew 25:21-22~“His Master replied, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master’s happiness!' ”
Colossians 4:5~ “Be wise in the way you act with those who are unbelievers; Make the most of every opportunity.”
Psalm 39:4-5~ “Lord, remind me how brief my time on earth will be. Remind me that my days are numbered; how fleeting my life is. You have made my life no longer than the width of my hand. My entire lifetime is just a moment to You, at best, each of us is but a breath.”
And I then found a few quotations by Christian leaders:
“The greatest waste in all of our earth…Is our waste of the time that God has given us each day.”
 
 ~Billy Graham
“A man by his sin may waste himself, which is to waste that which on earth is most like God. This is man’s greatest tragedy and God’s heaviest grief.”
~A.W. Tozer
“If you live gladly to make others glad in God, your life will be hard, your risks will be high, and your joy will be full. This is not about how to avoid a wounded life, but how to avoid a wasted life. Some of you will die in the service of Christ. That will not be a tragedy. Treasuring life above Christ is a tragedy.”
~ John Piper
 
 I also found the definition of ‘Steward’ which I thought was interesting and was related to the subject:
Steward--A head servant appointed to manage property or finances
 
 So, I think a 'good steward' would mean dealing with finances well, i.e., not wasting finances. or spending money unwisely.
 
As 1 Peter 4:10 says~ "Each of you should use what ever gift you have received to serve others, as good stewards of God's grace in its various forms."
 
 
So, overall I feel that wasting shows a lack of respect and honor for the Almighty Creator of all things.
 
 
 Love,
 Ava Katherine<3
 
 
 

1 comment: