Monday, August 1, 2016

A Piece of History: Tent Trailer

For my next post in this series, I would like to write about one of my favorite heirlooms of all, our 1940s tent trailer! :)
 
Exterior of the trailer.
 
It was built by my maternal great-great uncle and aunt, Bud and Dorothy Gilbert.
 
 
Bud and Dorothy Gilbert, Oakhurst, 1979.
It was modified from a plan in a 1940s magazine, either Popular Science or Popular Mechanics.
Once completed in 1949, it was taken on many fishing and camping trips.
 
Dorothy, my grandmother Carol Lee Blair, and Bud on a fishing trip in 1959.
 
The trailer was handed down to my maternal grandparents, Nolan and Carol Lee Blair in the early 1960s, and they camped every year with their three sons and my mom until their children were mostly grown.
 
 
Camping at Big Sur, 1962.
 
 
 In the early 2000s it was handed down to my parents, and I have camped in it since before I can remember.


Me in the tent trailer, 2004. :)


So now that you have a bit of history on it, here is some more information.
 
The canvas is held on by many snap grommets that were WWII surplus. 
On the inside there is a sink, a two-burner stove, and an ice-box with outdoor access.
 The trailer comfortably sleeps four, but you can fit a few more in if they sleep on the floor. :)
 
Here are some photos of the inside:
 
 
The canvas is supported by an aluminum frame, shown in the photo below.
 
 
Here is a photo of the trailer when it is folded up for travel.
 
My grandmother and three uncles, Mount Lassen, 1966. My grandmother is pregnant with my mom. :)
 
 
I am the fourth generation to have camped in this tent trailer, and I hope that it will be camped in by many generations after me.
 
Love,
 
Ava Katherine<3
 
 

4 comments:

  1. Thas a really cool post Ava! I like the family history post you do. We have Indian in us from my dad's side!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! These posts are one of my favorites to write! :) That is neat!

    Love,

    Ava Katherine<3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would you like me to put a post on my blog about your blog? I would love too!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure! That is nice of you to offer. :)

      Thank you!

      Love,

      Ava Katherine<3

      Delete