Saturday, August 20, 2016

The Balloon Belles



Hi there! In this post I am going to share a little bit through words and pictures about the development of our balloon-twisting business.
    When I was around age 9 my dad and I picked up a simple balloon-twisting kit from a yard sale. I learned a few simple designs from that and developed an interest in it.

Me with a couple of the creatures I learned at age 9 ;)
 
The Mariposa County Fair always hosts Becky the Balloon Twister. In September 2010 (I was 11), I spent an afternoon there watching her twist her creations. She noticed that I had an obvious interest and took me and my family back to her trailer and taught me the basic twists and a couple of critters. I then got books from the library and watched many a video on YouTube. My generous grandfather also was a steadfast supporter of the business and purchased my first order of professional balloons.

Me with my first balloon order at age 11
 
 After some practice with those things I started twisting creations for relatives and friends :P


   
 
 Once I got more practice, I started to hand a variety of balloon sculptures out to folks at grocery stores, the bank, or anywhere we were running errands. Locals started to tip me a few dollars here and there. Then someone wanted to pay me by the hour for their daughter's birthday party! Soon, the local papers (the Mariposa Gazette and the Sierra Star) both did articles on my hobby that became a business. By word of mouth, it starting growing into an actual business and now we book events from Mariposa to anywhere within 2 hours of Mariposa, twisting balloons by the hour or selling them at festivals. Through the years, my younger sister Ava has picked up the talent. She began as an assistant, picking up popped balloon scraps and twisting the simpler designs. Over a couple years I taught her what I know and she is just as skilled at it now! Our balloon business changed from "Belle the Balloon-a-Twister" to more recently 'The Balloon Belles."
 
Ava, Age 13, Isabel (Me), Age 17
 
 

Now that you know our story, here are some photos of us twisting balloons as well as photos of some of our creations:
Me at age 12 twisting balloons at the Mariposa Farmer's Market


 
Twisting balloons at the Mariposa Butterfly Festival


Bluebirds on a Branch


Balloon Centerpieces for the National Wildlife Federation
Raccoon Centerpiece


5-petal flowers
My grandpa wearing a Frog Hat :)
 


Fish Blowing Bubbles
Alien with Laser Gun Hat
Bride
 
Caterpillar
 
Fairy on a flower



We now dress in a 1950's theme! :D
 


                                                           That's all for now folks!!

~Isabel Rose






No comments:

Post a Comment